LANGUAGE
Last updated: September 17th 2019

Health Warnings/Messages Features

Type of product: Smoked Tobacco Product
Type of Warnings / Messages Required
Pictures (Photos), Text Warnings/Messages
Location and Size of Warnings / Messages on Unit Packaging
55% of front, 55% of back
Rotation Required
Required
Number of Warnings / Messages Authorized to Be Displayed at Any Given Time
2
Length of Rotation Period
Specified - 12 months
Analysis

The Sub-Decree on Health Warnings requires that a picture warning cover 50% and a text warning cover 5% of the upper front and upper back panels of all tobacco product packages. Thus, a total of 55% of the upper front and back panels of the package are dedicated to the combined health warning.

The text portion of the warning must be printed in bold text in white on a black background.

There are two authorized warnings, which must be printed simultaneously in the same quantity. The Minister of Health is mandated to update the warnings once a year.

The law meets FCTC Art. 11 and aligns with the FCTC Art. 11 Guidelines regarding size, content, location, and rotation of health warnings.

Type of product: Smokeless Tobacco Products
Type of Warnings / Messages Required
Pictures (Photos), Text Warnings/Messages
Location and Size of Warnings / Messages on Unit Packaging
55% of front, 55% of back
Rotation Required
Required
Number of Warnings / Messages Authorized to Be Displayed at Any Given Time
2
Length of Rotation Period
Specified - 12 months
Analysis

The Sub-Decree on Health Warnings requires that a picture warning cover 50% and a text warning cover 5% of the upper front and upper back panels of all tobacco product packages. Thus, a total of 55% of the upper front and back panels of the package are dedicated to the combined health warning.

The text portion of the warning must be printed in bold text in white on a black background.

There are two authorized warnings, which must be printed simultaneously in the same quantity. The Minister of Health is mandated to update the warnings once a year.

The law meets FCTC Art. 11 and aligns with the FCTC Art. 11 Guidelines regarding size, content, location, and rotation of health warnings. To more fully align, the content of the health warnings for smokeless tobacco products should address the specific dangers of smokeless tobacco.