LANGUAGE
Last updated: August 17th 2020

Health Warnings/Messages Features

Type of product: Smoked Tobacco Product
Type of Warnings / Messages Required
Pictures (Photos), Text Warnings/Messages
Location and Size of Warnings / Messages on Unit Packaging
75% of front, 100% of back, Side(s)
Rotation Required
Required
Number of Warnings / Messages Authorized to Be Displayed at Any Given Time
7
Length of Rotation Period
Specified - 12 months
Analysis

For cigarettes, there are 14 authorized warning messages, with corresponding graphic and explanatory message. A warning message in English and corresponding graphic must occupy 75% of the front of the package. A warning message in English and te reo Maori, corresponding explanatory message, and corresponding graphic must cover 90% of the back of the package. The remaining 10% of the back of the package is covered with a 'you can quit statement.' A second warning must occupy one entire side of the package (except the area that forms part of the flip-top).

For cigarettes, the 14 required messages must be rotated, with the first set of seven messages appearing from March 14, 2018 to May 31, 2019 and then for a period of sixteen months beginning on February 1, 2020 or any later even-numbered year. The second set of seven messages is required to appear from February 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020, and then for a period of 16 months beginning on February 1, 2021 or any later odd-numbered year. As indicated by the dates above, there is a four-month transition period during which required messages from both sets may appear.

For loose or pipe tobacco, there are 14 authorized warning messages and corresponding graphics and explanatory messages, which are the same set of 14 as for cigarettes. A warning message in English and corresponding graphic must occupy 75% the front of the package. A warning message in English and te reo Maori, corresponding explanatory message, corresponding graphic, and 'you can quit statement' must cover 75% of the back of the package. A second warning must appear on the side of the package, the size of which varies depending upon the shape of the package. The rotation scheme that is required for cigarettes also applies to loose or pipe tobacco.

For cigars, there are five authorized warning messages, with corresponding graphics and explanatory messages. A warning message in English and te reo Maori and corresponding graphic must occupy 75% of the front of the package. A warning message in English and corresponding explanatory message must occupy 75% of the back of the package. (For a cigar tube, a text-only warning message in both English and te reo Maori must cover at least 95% of the total length and 60% of the total circumference of the tube.) During each 12-month period, beginning on March 1 each year, each warning and corresponding graphic and explanatory message must appear as nearly as possible on equal numbers of packages of each different brand.

In addition to the required messages, tobacco product packaging must appear standardized - packaging must be a standard color, size, and shape and may only contain specified information in a standard font type, size, and color.

Type of product: Smokeless Tobacco Products
Type of Warnings / Messages Required
Not Required
Location and Size of Warnings / Messages on Unit Packaging
Rotation Required
Not Required
Number of Warnings / Messages Authorized to Be Displayed at Any Given Time
N/A
Length of Rotation Period
Unspecified
Analysis

Section 29 of the Smoke-free Environments Act prohibits the sale, packaging and distribution of “any tobacco product labeled or otherwise described as suitable for chewing, or any other oral use (other than smoking).” Therefore, all smokeless tobacco products are banned.